Skip to content
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked then diced/shredded
- 1 can of tomatillos
- 1 can of white beans (great northern)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of diced green chilies
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of water, used from boiling the chicken breasts
- 1 lime, juiced
- Seasoning: 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of Penzey’s spice Salsa and Pico, plus 1/2 Tablespoon of Salt and 1/2 Tablespoon of Pepper
- Toppings: Cilantro and Avocado slices
- Fill a medium size pot with water and some salt and place 2 the chicken breasts in the pot. Turn the burner on high and boil for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the pot and put aside on a cutting board. Pour the boiled water out but keep 1 cup of the water to the side. When the chicken is cool to handle, use a knife and fork and shred the chicken.
- Get a large Le Cruset pot and add 2-3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and turn the burner on medium high. Add the diced onion to the pot and cook until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the lids to the cans of beans and pour into a strainer and run under cold water to rinse them. Add the beans to the large pot and cook for another 8 minutes to soften the beans.
- Add the can of tomatoes, tomatillos and chilis to the pot. Then add 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of the chick water that was set aside.
- Add the Penzey’s seasoning, salt, pepper and shredded chicken to the pot. Bring to a boil and stir several times.
- After about 5-10 minutes on boil, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and set your timer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Stir the chili and using a ladle pour into bowls. Add your favorite toppings.